Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Custom Doctor Who TARDIS bag

After making this bag, I told myself that I probably wouldn't do it ever again. But it appears that people really like it and with the impending start of me selling things, I might be forced to make some. This bag has the same structural pattern as the Toile bag on a previous post and I'll put a link to the pattern at the bottom of this page. However, for this bag I altered it in a few ways.

First, I added a custom flap to make it more like a laptop bag. I did not include the magnetic clasp this time because I didn't feel it was necessary for the bag to stay closed. I didn't have any buttons that matched the colors so I custom made some buttons from shrinky dinks and a dalek design I created a while ago. The last alteration was stitching the handles directly into the exterior shell. I was worried about having the dalek buttons hold all the weight so doing this worked out well. I had already topstitched the straps (which isn't required but I hate hand slip stitching) so I ended up having to double over that stitching to attach it to the bag. Somehow, I did that really well, but in hindsight I might have done the topstitching and attaching to the bag in one fell swoop.

The final product with a matching coffee cozy!
There is a double pocket inside the bag
There's a pocket with a ruffle under the flap and these are the custom buttons
Just a little before-and-after of the buttons
I sewed in the flap during the process of attaching the exterior and interior pieces
As promised, this is the free original tutorial. I think this project was good to open my eyes to how I can alter patterns to make unique things. I wouldn't have done it if someone hadn't requested this particular type of bag in exchange for something they were making for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment