Friday, June 21, 2013

Because your hair is beautiful...

...you need beautiful things for your hair!

I went through a phase of not knowing what to do with my hair (okay, that's pretty much my life). It's straight and never does what I want. However, something I figured out is that headbands often add a nice bit of color to your hair (looking like you actually tried to do something with it) and they're great for keeping hair out of your face. The issue with these is that I easily get headaches from them as most people probably do. I finally found some plastic headbands that bend at the temple to prevent headaches, and they are definitely my go to for a general hair-back kind of day. However, they're boring. Really boring.

Enter fabric headbands!! After finding a tutorial online about how to make these wonderful things, I haven't really stopped. Mostly I've made them for other people, but on occasion I get to keep one for myself. I've also gotten into altering them to fit my style. Here are some of my creations.

From the original tutorial the flowers look like this.
This is Crafty Pants showing off a headband for me!

I've started this new flower type (though it should be facing downward, not forward).

So far, I like the ones with the new flowers best. It turns out that I can print my own fabric for the front flower (no pictures here) and it makes for a super unique headband. The fabric ones also last longer without causing headaches. Plus, I make the band kind of thin so it stays on my head longer without moving around. I should note that these tie underneath your hair so the knot can show through with thinner or short hair. Doesn't mean it looks bad, though!

Here's the tutorial that I've been using: Sew Divertimento blog (headband tutorial). I'm sure there are others, but this one was pretty easy for me to grasp quickly. I don't even use the tutorial anymore, just the template I created.

No comments:

Post a Comment